Monday, January 5, 2009

I sat on the subway. My head bumped against the window with each turn. I was in no mood to move it. One of those situations where you are too fed up with life. I guess the science-y people call it inertia. I guess.
The setting wasn't helping. Some hotshot decided to scratch something crude into the wall. The fantastic chairs that were molded to fit no one's butt were causing me to shift constantly. And the window was covered in years of grime.
So I'm pissed, fitting into society's view of a typical outcast. I'm in Fuck Everything mode. Nothing I do or anyone I talk to I like. It came so suddenly to. I was sitting in English class, tempted to slam down my books and barge out the door. Fuming at nothing.

Well, I'm staring at this one guy in particular. It seemed as if life beaten the crap out of him and spat on him afterwards. Yet he had this smile on his face, like he knew the world's greatest joke or something. So I figure, ah what the hell, I may as well talk to the guy. Lord knows I could use a good laugh. So I call him over.

"Hey.. Hey you. The one with the black jacket."
He looks over.
"Come here a sec."
I can sense his caution. I'm not the world's most approachable person. I had fun with piercings, and eyeliner. So I'm dark. Is that a problem?
"I don't mean to be rude, but you seem like you've been.. I dunno.. abused by life. Yet, you've got this look like you've found meaning in the small stuff. So I figured I'd ask what was up."
"Hi, for starters. Yea. I guess I gave up on my appearence. I'm not about to launch into the sorrows of my life, you haven't committed any crime worthy of such a punishment?"
"I hope not. Care for a seat? Where ya headed?"
"Until I decide to get off, or if they kick me off"
"Me too! I just need my head to clear. Things have been odd for me lately."
"Well, I sparked your interest with how I look. I'm doing the bohemian thing at the moment. Living poor and living free."
He chuckled to himself at that point and it was then I investigated him a bit closer.
His shoes showed a great view of his socks, which showed a great view of his toe poking through the hole, and it was all done up with duct tape. Everything was ripped or tattered. He was gaunt, exhausted...
"So how are you free? I didn't think poverty meant freedom. at least that's that way I've seen it all these years."
"Sleep alludes me, hungry invades me. Yes, it would appear I have every oppurtunity to be miserable. I learned wealth causes more harm than good, so I'm trying to live the side of life people generalize but don't experience. Like they say, freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose. When you loose it all you get to focus on the important stuff."
"Philosophical. I like it. I'm Sam by the way."
"I'm Eli. Pleasure to meet cha"

right, I might continue with it but I needed a break point.

No comments: