Thursday, February 2, 2012

This day

This morning I went to Rome's Body Worlds exhibit. I've seen the show here and back home in Philadelphia. Both times it has made me question the boundaries of what is acceptable and what is not. The first time I saw thew show it was only adults that had donated their body to science and it was strange and disturbing what happened from there. Today's show started with a disclaimer about the show being genuine but do not except to find information on the bodies used in it. Corpses of infants, children, teenagers, and adults littered the the showroom. Standing in front of the display of the pregnant woman with an 8 month old infant inside her made me question these people's lives, who they were, and how they would feel knowing they were on display. It was surreal staring at dried out tongues and skin with hair still attached to it. Something about staring into the empty sockets of these empty cavities was other-worldly.

After that I had Italian class then to design class. I'm headed to Milan next weekend. Today in class, we went to Mussolini's villa, which was also surreal. Walking through the empty halls with my friends was sensation I had never felt before. We were alone save for the video cameras. Neoclassical ballrooms, Egyptian themed bedrooms, and breathtaking gardens.


No comments: