Monday, May 30, 2011

A love letter.

To my not-so-significant other,

I think you're pretty cool. I like you and this could be something that lasts. The problem is that you're in it for the long haul; I'm not. You see, I'm a bit like a cat. I see something I fancy and take possession of it until I become bored. You, my dear, are the current object. Granted, when I see something good I know it.

There is something about you that I can't describe. Perhaps it is your eyes or your disarming manner. Either way, you are special to me, but don't think you're irreplaceable. Yes, that does sound harsh, but so is life. Yes, I took you off cloud nine and gave you a dose of reality. Never did I believe disillusion was healthy; the pain of truth always seemed the better route. Truth is necessary and love is a dangerous game.

I am writing you this letter as a sort of warning. When I first met you I mentioned that unruly temper of mine; you said you didn't notice it. Well, you have been given fair warning. That temper is filled with jealousy and obsession and so is yours. I see it in you, that stubborn, jealous anger and the low self esteem you do your best to hide. I see you falter and I can see through the veil you use to hide your weaknesses. You're afraid of many things, and so am I. I'm afraid that I can't love as deeply as I want, I'm afraid of how possessive you are, I'm afraid that you think of me as a trophy instead of a girlfriend, and I'm afraid of all the things in your head you never say.
Sometimes the bravest thing a person can do is say the things they don't think they can.

If we are to have a future together we must tell each other the thoughts that cross our minds. Silence really can be deafening.

One more thing, and I'm sorry that this sounds like nitpicking, but it is my nature to over analyze. I am very strange and complex. I suppose it could be fun to unravel the mystery. My nature is one that likes to flee to new places. New places provide a different outlook and a chance to reinvent myself. I need that every so often, and it is a pleasure I indulge in. That being said, I need you to let me free. I think the saying is if you love something let it free, if it comes back it was meant to be. That's the best summary I can give of myself. I need you to think of things other than your routine comforts. The danger of routine is it can grow and hinder you from thinking outside the box, and I live my life avant garde. I don't expect or want you to jump through fiery hoops in an effort to proclaim your love, but I do expect you to never try and make me stay put. If you do, I will leave.

It is a lot I am asking from you, but I think we have something good here, and I'd love to make it work. I just feel a danger in your desire to stay with what you've known all your life. I am constantly changing, and growing, and learning new things about my surroundings. My fear is that a distance will eventually grow between us that cannot be bridged. I implore you to embrace the beauty of life, a beauty that exists outside of a day-to-day routine. I'll be waiting for you on the other side.

No comments: